How do you revoke a Let's Encrypt certificate with Traefik?

I am new to Traefik and currently just playing around trying to learn how to use it with docker-compose in a test environment. As part of the playing/learning/testing, I used to Traefik to get some certificate from Let's Encrypt. I am about to tear down my current test environment. Before I do that, I would like to cancel or revoke the certificate. Both Certbot and acme.sh have a way of doing this, but I have not been able to find a way to do this with Traefik. How do you revoke a Let's Encrypt certificate with Traefik?

Thank you

I don’t think there is such a functionality in Traefik itself. It uses the go-acme/lego library, check if they support it.

You really only need to revoke a cert if someone stole your private key. In normal life, if you delete your cert files the cert can‘t be used anymore and expires after 3 months.

The go-acme/lego library does have an option to revoke a cert:

https://go-acme.github.io/lego/usage/cli/options/

However, I am not sure how to use it with the acme.json file where Traefik saves them. I have not had much time to look, however.

That is a good point about not needing to revoke them and just letting them expire. I had assumed if they were no longer being used, the polite thing to do would be to revoke them. If anything, this got rid of the e-mail reminders when they are about to expire.

Cheers,

1 Like