Problems with the whitelist in GKE

This is my first time creating a topic here in the community, so I ask for patience and understanding.

I just installed Traefik from scratch (v2.3.1) in a GKE cluster via helm following the documentation ( -chart), changing the following attributes:


  spec: {
    externalTrafficPolicy: Local

  - "--log.level=DEBUG"

Everything worked as expected, Traefik's Pod is running, generated a Service of type = LoadBalancer with a public IP.

Then I created an IngressRoute with an endpoint to forward to a nginx deploy with a Hello World just for testing and added a whitelist Middleware:


kind: IngressRoute
  name: test
    - web
    - kind: Rule
        - name: whitelist
      match: Host (``)
        - name: nginx-deployment
          port: 80


kind: Middleware
  name: whitelist

In the first test, access from any source was released to test the endpoint, as expected everything worked correctly. When we change Middleware for a specific IP range, we receive Forbidden:


      - my-ip/32

Analyzing the logs of Traefik we realized that the IP that arrives in it is not the real IP of the client, but a kind of gateway of kubernetes for example, which generates Forbbiden in all requests and we were unable to find out how to keep the real IP . We tested with Nginx Ingress and it works correctly. Does anyone have any suggestions?

GKE version:
Client Version: version.Info{Major:"1", Minor:"18", GitVersion:"v1.18.5", GitCommit:"e6503f8d8f769ace2f338794c914a96fc335df0f", GitTreeState:"clean", BuildDate:"2020-06-26T03:47:41Z", GoVersion:"go1.13.9", Compiler:"gc", Platform:"linux/amd64"}
Server Version: version.Info{Major:"1", Minor:"15+", GitVersion:"v1.15.12-gke.20", GitCommit:"0ac5f81eecab42bff5ef74f18b99d8896ba7b89b", GitTreeState:"clean", BuildDate:"2020-09-09T00:48:20Z", GoVersion:"go1.12.17b4", Compiler:"gc", Platform:"linux/amd64"}

1 Like

did you ever fix this? I am seeing the same thing

Hi, sorry for the delay in replying, I just got back from vacation. :beach_umbrella:

I have bad news, after a lot of insisting with Google's paid support staff (it was about 3 months) nothing was resolved.

As this is a serious problem, our only solution was to create a new cluster and then everything works again, we even approved to upgrade to the version of Traefik 2+. But this is a costly and time-consuming migration (we have around 120+ microservices, including load balancers, ingress, configs maps) we are around 70% of the migrated services but we still haven't finished, it was the only drastic solution that we found unfortunately.

If you find a better alternative, don't forget to share it here with us.

It is worth noting that it does not seem to me to be a problem with the Traefik application, after much research it seems to be related to the rules of IP tables applied to GKE nodes.

I've also run into this problem.

I've also concluded that it's a problem with how GKE works. For regular K8s it looks like its solvable by setting externalTrafficPolicy to "local". But this is not possible with GKE.

Yes, but the funny thing is that you create a new GKE cluster in the latest stable version, it will work (at least the version of traefik v2+). Maybe it was some GKE update on the network.