HostSNI not working

Hello guys,

I'm trying to implement Traefik as a TCP Proxy for several mongoDB servers, but something it's not working.

I have several deployments for my developers, dev, staging, qa, etc and each of them are a suite of containers like backend, mongo, log-shipper etc.

For each of this deployments, I'm registering different http routers in Traefik, for example mybachend-dev.mydomain.com, mybackend-staging.mydomain.com, etc and everything works fine except mongo part.

This is my main goal: for each deployment in different environments, I want to have a TCP endpoint to the respective mongo instance.

This are the labels that I'm using to do it:

"traefik.tags=trk",
          "traefik.tcp.routers.mongo-dev.entrypoints=mongo",
          "traefik.tcp.routers.mongo-dev.rule=HostSNI(`mongo-dev.mydomain.dev`)",
          "traefik.tcp.routers.mongo-dev.service=mongo-svc",
          "traefik.tcp.routers.mongo-dev.tls=true",
          "traefik.tcp.services.mongo-svc.loadBalancer.server.address=${NOMAD_ADDR_mongo_db}",

As you can see I'm using Nomad and Consul to help me with all this environments, but this config it's not working.

I made some tries, and I found that if I change this line "traefik.tcp.routers.mongo-dev.rule=HostSNI( mongo-dev.mydomain.dev )" to this "traefik.tcp.routers.mongo-dev.rule=HostSNI( * )" , it works (I can use Mongo Compass to access to the databases) but I'm afraid that, with several TCP Routers (for the different environments - mongo-dev.mydomain.dev, mongo-staging.mydomain.dev, etc), it will not make differentiate between the different mongo hosts and start to make a round robin choise.

I'm using Traefik v 2.1.4

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks a lot.

Hello,
I have the same problem with Traefik v2.2

There is a solution for HostSNI and a mongodb ???

1 Like

After several test I found a solution.
For the HostSNI we need a tls and now the connection is valid :

labels:
      - traefik.enable=true
      - traefik.tcp.services.my-mongodb1.loadbalancer.server.port=2001
      - traefik.tcp.routers.my-mongodb1.entrypoints=mongo
      - traefik.tcp.routers.my-mongodb1.rule=HostSNI(`my-mongodb1.company.net`)
      - traefik.tcp.routers.my-mongodb1.tls=true
      - traefik.tcp.routers.my-mongodb1.tls.certresolver=letsencrypt

1 Like