What does codename `vacherin` cover?

Currently working on a upgrade plan and I am trying to decide whether to stick with release names such as livarot and vacherin. My issue is I can't seem to find anything anywhere to determine what these actually mean and their scope.

It appears vacherin was created for v2.8.x but i don't know if that is just to cover the 2.8.x releases or whether it will go beyond and include the 2.9.x and beyond?

Can anyone clarify the scope of these "codenames" and whether it is advisable to use it as the docker tag opposed to explicitly named versions?

Looking docker hub there is now a banon codename:

https://hub.docker.com/layers/library/traefik/banon/images/sha256-db342e34695d56c99c585c040494f516e23e29f579c129a75f2c7c2db38df8d0?context=explore

The labels suggest banon refers to the 2.9.x releases.

So assuming this is correct does every minor release get its own name?

Hello,

"vacherin" is the codename for v2.8.
"banon" is the codename for v2.9.

Thanks for the clarification.

Are these code names intended for internal use or are they safe for wider public consumption?

Also, are they documented anywhere?

Our thinking at the moment is to use the code name so we get the latest minor releases but it has been a struggle to identify the scope of the code names.

Thanks

Are these code names intended for internal use or are they safe for wider public consumption?

There are public references you can use it.

Also, are they documented anywhere?

Not really, but they are in the Docker image tags.

Our thinking at the moment is to use the code name so we get the latest minor releases

personally, I prefer using v2.x format (ex: v2.7, v2.8, v2.9) because it's more concrete and clear.

Thanks @Idez

I agree that using the semver “major.minor” docker tag is more transparent and easily identifiable at a glance. It will provide same end result so I think I’ll go with that approach.

Thanks for the clarifications on this and the speedy responses!

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.